Let's 'stay sharp' in Kamloops South Thompson ...

... elect Peter Sharp BC Conservative MLA


Tuesday 2 April 2013

What do you believe are the most important overall provincial issues that must be addressed in the next election?

Recently I was contacted by Rajeshwari (Raj), Managing Editor, for Insight, a publication with Glacier Media Group. Insight is a bi-monthly regional publication that highlights the Indo-Canadian lifestyle and community.

The reason he contacted me, was to ask if I would provide responses to a number of questions he was posing to other candidates in our area.  I was delighted to have the opportunity, and I have decided to also share these responses with you today. 


l. What do you believe are the most important overall provincial issues that must be addressed in the next election?  

It would be natural to answer this with what most people would expect to hear; that would be the protection of Health Care, Education, and Social Services.  These are certainly very important, however there is something else which I believe tops all others -- that is the issue of accountability and integrity in government.

This is not something new, but with all the scandals plaguing the BC Liberal government, it is once again at the forefront for many people.  Words are easy to say, and I too have been accused of issuing 'motherhood statements'; however I know the principles and commitment of BC Conservative members -- MLA's are first and foremost to represent the wishes of the people who have elected them to office.

This is something which I take very seriously, and something which was just re-enforced to me again in a personal way by our party leader John Cummins when he was recently in Kamloops

I believe in the everyday common sense of British Columbian's, and it is that common sense that will go with me to Victoria when I am elected.


2. What are the changes you propose to make in your riding and for the province? 

If there was just one single major change I could make, that would be to be able to show the people of Kamloops South Thompson that government really can represent them.  We now have more and more people becoming apathetic, and who no believe it makes any difference if they vote or not.  

I want them to see that they can have input in to the decision making process, and that government really can be accountable to them. 


3.  What do you feel are your best qualities as a political candidate? 

Kamloops is my home by choice, and it is where my family and I have resided for over 20 years. 

I have served my community as a policeman, a city councilor, a member of the Thompson Nicola Regional District board of directors, as chairman of our regional hospital district board, plus 15 other committees and local non-profit community groups and organizations. 

Through these opportunities I have been able to put my own personal skills to use in a number of ways.  More importantly however, I have learned from others how to better serve my community by seeking out the wisdom of others, and then putting that knowledge to practical use. 

Now retired, I believe I have the time, the energy and the desire to be the elected 'representative' for the people of Kamloops South Thompson. 


4. Do you think a special campaign is necessary to win the "ethnic" vote like Indo-Canadians?  

We are all Canadians -- we are all British Columbian's.  Some of us have lived here for several generations, and some are relative new-comers who will have the opportunity to add to, and become part of, the growing fabric of our province. 

There is no one individual, or ethnic group, that should be singled out for a special focus by unethical backroom manipulators within some political party's.  To do so, in my opinion is one of the most disrespectful things that a political party can do.  


5.  What is the most important issue facing in your riding today?

There are a number of important issues for our riding, however I believe the biggest is the problems confronting Doctors, Nurses, and other front-line workers and staff at Royal Inland Hospital

We now have a situation where the top 13 administrators of the Interior Health Authority are earning $3.3 million dollars a year -- an average of a quarter of a million dollars each.  In fact, there are over 2,600 people in administrative and executive roles, who are supervising a staff of 18,000.  One for every 7 people seems a little excessive to me, and I think we would be better served by having more front line people.

Meantime will have an aging hospital that had an entire operating room closed and its equipment removed -- 100s of beds closed ... patients being looked after in hallways, and an Emergency Room that itself is in a state of emergency time and time again. 

We need to, I believe, listen to the people providing the most direct level of service to see how things can be improved, where changes need to be made, and how we can get more doctors and nurses into the interior, northern and rural communities that are desperately under-served.  


Do you have a question you'd like an answer to?  I'd like to encourage you to contact me; I'll do my very best to provide you with an answer. 

Let's 'stay sharp' Kamloops

I'm Peter Sharps -- I'm a BC Conservative -- and "I Believe In BC!"

No comments:

Post a Comment