Let's 'stay sharp' in Kamloops South Thompson ...

... elect Peter Sharp BC Conservative MLA


Monday 4 March 2013

So who, you ask, is retired Command Sergeant Major James F. Stone?

Today I feel honoured to have the friendship of someone special I have known for the past 50 years. The man is retired Command Sergeant Major James F. Stone.

The other day out of the blue, I received an email from him. It made me stop and think about this goal which I, and many others, are trying to achieve here in Kamloops, British Columbia.

So who, you ask, is retired Command Sergeant Major James F. Stone?

Jim grew up in Iowa on his fathers farm, and as he tells it:
Of course my climb toward an education was by fixing aircraft during the day, and night school. Even though gasoline was 27 cents a gallon, I joined the Aire Force to make ends meet.”


After graduating from university he was drafted into the US Air Force. Jim served for 27 years, and during that time he obtained two Masters degrees. He earned the highest rank attainable as a Non Commissioned Officer. More than once, Jim turned down the opportunity to become a Commissioned Officer. 

He is a man firm in his beliefs, and convictions. When the US decided to renege on the promise for lifetime medical treatment for veterans, because of the National Budget, he volunteered to join Colonel Bud Day (Medal of Honor and Vietnam prisoner of war) to sue the US Government. That case resulted in what is known as 'Tricare for Life' – medical care for the retired veteran.

I met Jim in Tripoli, Libya when I was 12 years old. My father was stationed there, with the British Army. Jim was also stationed in Libya with the US Air Force. A bond grew between our two families, and since those years in Libya, my family and his have remained in contact. He is a very talented, capable and respected individual -- a father, a grandfather and a husband devoted to his wife Janet.




He believes in me; and when the time comes during the campaign, when I am questioning the task I have undertaken, these are words I will bring to mind and remember:

To all Canadians: 
 
I am a Yank. Many years ago I met a young lad, and recognized he was a talented youngster that was meant to excel in leadership. This meeting was in Tripoli, Libya, and he was the son of an Irish Guardsman in the British Army. 
 
Your nation is fortunate to have his capable leadership to vote for in the coming election. We voters of the United States could certainly use talented people like Peter Sharp.
 
James F Stone
Command Sgt Major (retired)
 
Thank you Jim, and thank you to friends old and new, who have chosen to join me on this journey.

Let's 'stay sharp' Kamloops. I'm Peter Sharp, I'm a BC Conservative, and I believe in BC

No comments:

Post a Comment